Saturday, June 16, 2012

Man's 'Bucket List' request for manicure-pedicure gets out of hand

For most people their “Bucket List” consists of grandiose dreams. Ideas of one day skiing the Swiss Alps or climbing Mount Everest, maybe even swimming with great white sharks off the Australian coast. But according to Mentor Police, the “Bucket List” of a Cleveland man arrested on Tuesday night consisted of something far less dramatic… receiving a manicure and pedicure. According a police report on the alleged incident, 43-year-old Charles Swinney, of Cleveland, was arrested the evening of June 12th after he took his dreams of receiving a manicure and pedicure a bit too far.

Authorities responded to the Asian Nails, on Tyler Blvd., in Mentor at 7:02 p.m. after receiving a call of an out of control man in the store. According to the report, Swinney had walked into the nail salon and asked for a mani-pedi, offering $100 for the service. Swinney was told by employees at the location that they would not be able to assist him because the salon was set to close shortly. The report states that Swinney then became upset and offered $300 for the mani-pedi, claiming that receiving the nail treatment was on his “Bucket List” and he wanted his nails done that day.

When police arrived tried to get Swinney to leave the location peacefully, but a brief struggle ensued. Swinney was quickly taken into custody and charged with inducing panic, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. During the incident Swinney was holding a large amount of cash in his left hand, according to police, and was carrying a bag that he claimed had $10,000 inside. Swinney told officers following his arrest that he was on a mission to accomplish several items on his “Bucket List” that day. He also told police that he had been drinking at a local bar prior to his arrest.

Swinney informed officers that he had consumed 12 alcoholic beverages prior to making his way over to the nail salon. Swinney pleaded no contest to the charges on Wednesday in Mentor Municipal Court. He was found guilty of inducing panic and resisting arrest. The disorderly conduct charge was dropped, according to court records. Swinney received a two-day jail sentence, for which he was credited for time served, and was fined $1,750 plus court costs.


No comments: