Saturday, July 14, 2012

Hairdresser's 'man boobs' help him find his long-lost father

A hairdresser's is set to meet his father for the first time – after appearing on the TV programme Embarrassing Bodies. Haydn Wells, 20, went on the Channel 4 show to have surgery on excess tissue on his chest. The condition, called gynaecomastia, is also known as having man boobs or 'moobs'. But the show was seen by Haydn's biological father, who has never met his son. He knew his name but not how it was spelled or where he lived – however, he saw the family resemblance, got in contact via Facebook and now the pair are planning to meet for the first time. Haydn, of Newark, said: "I have a whole new part of my life – everything has changed since I had the operation.

He said that I look a lot like his other son, so he put two and two together. I've always been an only child and now I've got a half-brother." Haydn developed gynaecomastia after he lost more than seven stone leaving him with loose skin and excess breast tissue. His father, Adrian Van Sertima, 50, a Ministry of Defence worker from Essex, said he had been struck by how much Haydn looked like his other son Nicholas, 26. He said: "I thought crikey, he looks like my son. More and more, when I saw the way he walked and smiled, I saw how much he was like my son. It's a miracle that we've found him."



When Haydn's name and address came on the screen, Adrian was even more convinced he was his long-lost son. In the early 1990s, when he was in the RAF, he had dated a woman from Newark while stationed at RAF Marham in King's Lynn. They were together for some time before splitting up. He continued: "When me and his mother split, she rang me saying she was pregnant but I didn't believe her. She said that she'd get on with her own life and I carried on with mine. After he'd been born I rang her and asked if he'd been born, she said he had and he was called Haydn." Over the past 20 years Adrian said he often thought about whether he had a son and had tried to search for him on Facebook but wasn't sure how to spell his name.

He said: "It was just a dead end." But after seeing the spelling on TV, he searched for him on Facebook and sent him a message. I said, 'I think I might know your mum, but I'm not sure. Ask her if she knew someone in the air force called Vanse?' – as that was my nickname." Haydn messaged him back saying: "I think you might be my biological dad." The pair are taking things slowly but have been messaging and texting every day and hope to meet soon. Haydn was left with moobs after he went from 19 stone to just under 12. He said: "It was a bit of a double edged sword, I'd lost all the weight but I had all of this loose skin." But Haydn is pleased with the result of his operation – and delighted that it's reunited him with his father.

With photo gallery, including picture of said moobs.

No comments: