Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Mystery of cockerel-killing football fan finally solved

A 28-year mystery over who slaughtered a live cockerel on the pitch before a Tottenham Hotspur UEFA Cup tie in Croatia has been solved.

Hajduk Split supporter Ante Baraba, now a 50-year-old lawyer, has confessed he was the fan who took the bird onto the pitch before the semi-final kick off and broke its neck in 1984.



The ritual killing, now part of football legend, has never been solved until Baraba's confession. "The rooster was the symbol of Tottenham and the English fans were so arrogant. They thought they were bigger than God.

"So I stole a rooster from my mum and ran onto the centre of the pitch and snapped its neck," he admitted. "I realise now I was very wrong an I apologise," he added. He said the act had haunted him especially after the club were penalised for it.

No comments: