Saturday, August 25, 2012

Woman says she is 'living in fear' after cat attack

A pensioner is calling for a new law on dangerous cats after she claims a terrifying attack has left her housebound. Nora Scott, aged 80, from Tunstall, Staffordshire, says that a neighbour's cat has been plaguing her for over a year. She was left scratched and bruised after the cat attacked her in her garden on July 8. She said: "I am terrified of this cat. It clawed my face and I had to go to the hospital and get antibiotics. I have spoken to the police, but they say there is nothing they can do. I think there should be a new law, because they have one for dangerous dogs."

Nora, who has lived at her house for 26 years, is now unwilling to go out alone in case she runs into the animal. She said: "It just jumped up and clawed all down my face. There was blood everywhere and it left me with a black eye. Now I am too scared to go out, in case it comes after me." Nora says she has now been left feeling helpless as dangerous cats are not treated as serious cases. She said: "Until something is done, then I will have to remain in my house. I used to love pottering about in the garden. I used to grow lovely flowers but I had to cut them all down so I could see whether the cat was hiding there."



The cat is believed to belong to Nora's neighbours. She claims they apologised after the attack, and told her they would have it rehomed. She said: "After it clawed me, they said they were getting rid. But I know their children are very fond of it and that is why it has not gone. Even my dog is terrified of it and runs up and down, barking. I am going to bed at 10.30pm every night because I don't feel safe to go out." Nora now carries a water spray with her at all times when she is in the garden.

Nora's daughter Lynne Sams, aged 62, says the incident has badly affected her elderly mother. She said: "After the attack there was blood running down her face. If she hadn't got her glasses on, it could have been terrible. Nobody is willing to do anything to help, but it would be a different story if a Rottweiler had got hold of her leg." Staffordshire Police said they could not find any record of responding to an attack in July. But it may not have been serious enough to record. A spokesman said: "There is the dangerous dog act but there is no such law relating to cats."

4 comments:

Patty O'Heater said...

What about dangerous budgies?

Anonymous said...

That doesn't look anything like what kind of damage a cat would do.

Anonymous said...

Right! One dead cat, coming right up.

tony m said...

Capsicum spray the bloody thing ,it wouldnt come back then.