Saturday, September 29, 2012

Poultry lover opens 'Fowlty Towers' chicken hotel

A chicken hotel has opened in south-east England amid growing demand for fowl accommodation in the chicken-loving county of Kent. The hotel, named 'Fowlty Towers', provides top notch accommodation for England's growing domestic chicken population while their owners are on holiday.



Its owner, hen hotellier Julie Smith, is on hand to give the birds a home away from home. 'I started looking after them as a favour and then I thought well it might be a bit of a business and we'll try and get them sorted so we ended up with lots of people ringing up and asking if I could look after their hens when they went on holiday,' she said.

Guests at the boutique-style establishment enjoy pampering and fresh vegetables every day in the luxury hen house. Ms Smith also occasionally treats the chickens to a joy ride in her hen stroller, giving the hens an opportunity for sightseeing in her quaint village of Cowden.


YouTube link.

'I think that they bring them to me because I give them individual attention, as I say they are pets so I care a lot about them, rather than - no disrespect to any big concern - but obviously the small number just get that little bit extra,' Julie said. Most of Ms Smith's clients come from the local area, although some guests have come from neighbouring counties.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'hen hotelier' gave me a giggle cramp.