A woman has spoken of her shock after finding a dead frog in her bag of Tesco’s spinach. Sarah Moss, 26, of Shoreditch, London, made a salad using the spinach which was supposed to have been washed by the supermarket giant, and began tucking in with her friend.
“It must have been after five minutes that my fork went through something that wasn’t meant to be there, and pierced this poor little frog,” she said. “I don’t think it was alive, it had its tongue already hanging out. I’m a massive animal lover so it was sad to see a dead frog,” she added.
“The frog hadn’t been damaged so you wonder at what stage of the process it managed to get in.” Her vegetarian friend found the episode so distressing she was sick several times afterwards. Ms Moss complained to Tesco - but because she hadn’t saved the frog, she was only offered an apology. After complaining again she was given a £10 gift voucher as compensation.
“We set ourselves very high standards for the safety of our food and for customer service, and we’re really sorry that they weren’t met on this occasion,” said a spokeswoman for Tesco. “We have apologised to our customer, and we are urgently investigating how this happened with our supplier.”