Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Man celebrates getting off Pubwatch scheme with drunk and disorderly charge

A man who went out in town to check if he was still on the Pubwatch scheme was arrested for being drunk and disorderly. Craig Smith, 24, of Uplands Drive, Grantham, was banned from various pubs in the town after being put on the scheme two years ago.

He was allowed into the pubs on September 30 but was thrown out of The King’s Arms, in Westgate, at around 1.40am. He was very unsteady on his feet and promptly fell over. A police officer, who was aware that he had just been made to leave the pub, told Smith to go home.



Jim Clare, prosecuting, said: “It was obvious that the defendant was very drunk.” He started to argue with the officer and was arrested, having to be taken straight to a cell at Grantham Police Station as he was being abusive. Smith, who admitted the charge, defended himself.

He said: “It shouldn’t have happened, I only went out that night because I was previously on Pubwatch and I wanted to see if I was allowed in any pubs because the following week I was best man for my mate’s stag do. I got into the pubs, had too many and messed up. I’m not on Pubwatch any more, but I probably will be again now.” Smith was fined £75 and ordered to pay £40 towards costs and £15 victim surcharge.

No comments: