Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Missing parrot finds owner after urgently knocking on door with his beak

A missing parrot was found two miles from home after it used its beak to ”urgently” knock on a door. The emerald green Eclectus bird, called Bobby,  disappeared from its cage on October 9. His devastated owner Margita Vilagiova launched a massive search including putting up dozens of missing posters. She had virtually given up hope, but five days later Bobby was found – after he tapped on a door two miles away. The plucky creature walked up to a home and used its beak to “urgently” knock.



Stunned resident Sarah Purdie, 41, opened the door and at first looked straight over him. But just as she was closing the door she saw 12-inch tall Bobby sat on her doorstep. She took the animal to her local animal rescue centre who reunited him with his owner. Sarah said: ”It was definitely the most bizarre day of my life. I had just got home when I heard an urgent tapping at the door. It was actually quite loud. I thought someone had thrown something at the door.

”I opened up and didn’t see anyone there and was about to shut it but looked down and there he was. I had actually half closed the door and walked away because I didn’t believe my eyes. I was wondering if it was real. I thought I must be on Candid Camera. You normally expect unwanted salesmen at the door but it was a nice surprise to see an exotic parrot instead.” Bobby disappeared from its home in Elfordleigh, Plymouth, and was found on October 14 in nearby Chaddlewood.



Owner Margita said: ”He is so beautiful and I was so worried about him. I’d been putting around posters for five days and was so pleased that Sarah found him. He has spent a lot of time sleeping since he’s returned home.” Sarah put her son’s toy box next to the parrot and he climbed in “as if he knew what to do to get home”. She got in touch with Woodside Animal Welfare Trust who were aware that Bobby was missing. Ginny Jones, from the trust, said: “It was just wonderful. He’s a beautiful little thing and he nuzzled right up to his owner when she saw him. He obviously missed her very much.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! OMG, I love these kinds of happy endings. --A.