Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Woman, 22, asked for ID to buy two cans of Coke

Phillipa Davison thought she must be hearing things when a shop assistant told her she couldn’t buy two cans of a popular fizzy drink unless she could produce some proof of her age. The 22-year-old former care worker picked up two cans of Coca Cola in WH Smith in Warwick town centre.

But when she walked up to the counter to pay the assistant told her she would need to produce an identity card as the drink was not available for children as it contained caffeine. Phillipa said: “I told her I was 22 but she obviously didn’t believe me. She just asked for my ID and refused to serve me.



“I must admit I was rather annoyed - I wonder now whether she was new and didn’t understand that Coke was not alcoholic. It was ridiculous but there seemed to be nobody else around in the store - they must have all been in the back. I’m afraid in the end I got annoyed and put both the cans back and walked out. I won’t be going there again.”

Phillipa’s father, Ian Davison, said: “Can this be the policy of a chain store like WH Smith? And if so does Coca Cola know?” A spokeswoman for WH Smith investigated the incident and then apologised for any “confusion” caused by the non-sale. The spokeswoman added: “I can confirm that we don’t have a policy that requires identification for selling this product and we are sorry for any confusion.”

2 comments:

Miss Cellania said...

Ha, just try that here in Kentucky, where people put Mountain Dew in baby bottles.

Anonymous said...

Honey Boo Boo, are you on here?