Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mining enthusiast has spent 13 years creating his own 19th century replica in back garden

A mining enthusiast has built his very own 150ft ironstone mine replica in his back garden. John Wiggins has spent years making the perfect 19th century model in the farmland at his home in Skelton Green, east Cleveland. Despite being located just 15 feet underground, the mine deceptively feels as if it is hundreds of metres below the surface. The 68-year-old thought up the idea after moving to the Cleveland area, a part of the country which was once home to more than 100 iron mines.



The painter said: "The mine is as close to a 100 per cent replica of a Cleveland Ironstone mine as you will find. I moved in here 15 years ago - the house is a barn conversion with a conventional garden but plenty of land. Having moved from out of the area, I started to become interested in local history and this part of the world is notorious for its mining background. I began talking to an unemployed local lad and we both shared an interest in medieval ruins.



"I visited a mine nearby in North Skelton, and it was an experience I will never forget. But it made me want to preserve Cleveland's identity so, as you do, I decided to dig up the garden." He embedded two shafts into an embankment and installed a headstock tower - where men and ironstone would be lifted in an out of the mine. He also fitted a headstock for the upcast shaft that allows the mine to be ventilated and allows a small amount of light into the ground below.
 


Underground, he dug up the land using a JCB and built subterranean mine workings - a narrow gauge where a railed tramway led to a tippler staith and tubs of ironstone from the mine were tipped into the carts below. Left for Mr Wiggins to complete is a mine office, which will be built close to his house. He said: "I have spent 13 years completing the mine but I want it to look authentic, like it's from the 1840s. I want it to look abandoned, as if miners have just up and left. I believe it's the only one of its type in the country."

There are more photos here.

7 comments:

Annemarie said...

I'm from Teeside and I have family in that area. Next time i'm up for a visit I wouldnt mind having a look at at that.There used to be the remains of ironstone mines that we played in as kids, all removed and filled in now

arbroath said...

He also has a nature reserve there and is keen to allow people to visit ...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/gazette-communities/ts-12-saltburn-and-east-cleveland/ts12-saltburn-and-east-cleveland-news/2010/03/02/pupils-brave-rain-for-nature-lesson-at-skelton-green-farm-84229-25944452/

The full address is Manless Green Farm, Skelton-In-Cleveland, Saltburn-By-The-Sea TS12 2DJ

Gareth said...

@Annemarie there are still plenty of abandoned mineworkings around the country that you can get into, if you (a) know where they are and (b) know what you're up to.

Annemarie said...

Thanks Kev :)

Gareth, I dont think I'm physically up for exploring too many real mines these days

SOUTIE SELLERS said...

I knew John 50 years ago. Nice one John.
Paul Elliott

SOUTIE SELLERS said...

My maternal grandfather, Charles Sellers, was an ironstone miner in Cleveland. Then he got a job at Warrenby steel works.
Paul Elliott

SOUTIE SELLERS said...

This is not the place but I do not know your snail mail nor email address: my wife, Sally nee Dack, who was a friend of yours so many yeRs ago, died in 2020. She died in Ireland where I now live. We were married 49 years. We have 2 granddaughters. Paul Elliott Journey's End Baskinagh Kildalkey Athboy County Meath Ireland C15 YP66