Friday, December 28, 2012

Englishman came round from stroke and started speaking Welsh

An 81-year-old man baffled doctors when he came round after a stroke – and started speaking Welsh. Alun Morgan, from Bathwick, Somerset, was also amazed when he began speaking in a language which he had not heard since being evacuated to Wales as a child in the war.


Photo from SWNS.

His wife Yvonne was the only person who could understand him and had to translate for doctors. Mr Morgan said: “I don’t remember anything from the time of my stroke. But gradually I started speaking a few words in Welsh.

“This was strange because I’d not lived in Wales since I was evacuated there during the war. Only my wife could understand what I was saying, and doctors were confused. Gradually the English words came back but it wasn’t easy.”


YouTube link.

Mr Morgan had been watching the lunchtime news when his wife noticed he was not responsive, and called an ambulance. He was rushed into hospital where he spent three weeks being stabilised and assessed. Mr Morgan has been left with aphasia, which affects his ability to communicate with others.

No comments: