Saturday, December 22, 2012

Man suffered sprouts 'overdose'

A man from Ayrshire had to be hospitalised after eating too many Brussels sprouts last Christmas, it has emerged. The traditional Christmas vegetable contain lots of vitamin K which promotes blood clotting.

However, this counteracted the effect of anticoagulants the man was taking because he had a mechanical heart. Doctors at the Golden Jubilee Hospital in Clydebank eventually realised too many sprouts were to blame.

Consultant cardiologist Dr Roy Gardner said: "Patients who are taking anticoagulants are generally advised not to eat too many green leafy vegetables, as they are full of vitamin K, which antagonise the action of this vital medication."

Jill Young, chief executive of the Golden Jubilee Hospital, added: "Whilst we think this is possibly the first-ever festive admission to hospital caused by the consumption of Brussels sprouts, we were delighted that we were able to stabilise his levels."


BoS said...

Who in their right mind would eat something that tastes like earwax? Manky git.

Anonymous said...

At last, I've got a valid reason not to eat my sprouts. Pity I didn't know about this when I was forced to eat them as a kid!