On 21 February a young Chinese student was cycling to his first day of school for the year. It is a day students look forward to as one of hope, learning and new experiences.
An unfortunate incident of fate caused the bicycle’s seat to bend, exposing a steel rod which penetrated the boy’s buttocks. The rod was unable to be removed.
Firefighters were called to the scene and used the jaws of life to detach much of the bicycle from the boy’s rear end.
He was then taken to hospital by ambulance with a large portion of the bike still emerging from his bottom. Medical staff were able to remove the rod and the boy was released without serious injury.