A stranger saved the life of a young child in an Australian supermarket. Amy Collard was shopping in a Perth IGA on Sunday when her two-year-old daughter Shaylar suddenly lost consciousness and stopped breathing. CCTV footage from the supermarket shows Ms Collard carrying her daughter's lifeless body to a counter and appealing to other shoppers for help.
A couple can be seen helping the girl, who they feared was choking, by turning her upside down and trying to revive her while Ms Collard ran outside to find her husband. The girl's father, Michael Narkle, ran into the store shortly afterward and is seen breaking down at the sight of his lifeless daughter.
The situation appears hopeless as numerous attempts to wake Shaylar fail and her desperate father paces the store in despair. But Rowan O'Neill, the man at the centre of the rescue effort, decided to make a final attempt and performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on the tiny girl from a store counter. Incredibly, the girl's eyes opened and her overwhelmed father was told of the good news.
Shoppers in the store cried and embraced as the joyous moment sunk in. The toddler's parents said they were grateful to Mr O'Neill for saving their daughter's life. "I thought she was going to die," Ms Collard said. "I'm lucky that he was there." "Thank you very much," Mr Narkle added. It is believed Shaylar was struck by a high fever. She is now home again after spending a night in hospital.