Monday, April 29, 2013

Family won't be eating green beans for a while after finding toad in can

An Indiana family won't be eating green beans in the near future after they found a frog in a can they bought from Meijer, a Michigan-based grocery store. "We eat a lot of green beans, we do, we did. Nobody wants anymore now,” said Gloria Chubb of South Bend. Chubb is disgusted by what she served up at the dinner table. "It was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans,” said Chubb.



"My son put some on his plate and said, ‘What is that?’ I thought maybe it was a piece of mouldy bacon or something - because they have bacon in them sometimes,” said Chubb. "I and I took it out of there and it wasn't mouldy bacon, it was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans. Other than that he was fully intact." The St. Joseph County Health Department took pictures of the toad.

Chubb alerted the department because she wants to warn others who may be in a rush like she was that day. "I didn't see it when I dumped it - I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave,” said Chubb. "I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon." Chubb took her unopened cans back to Meijer and they gave her a refund. She took the toad and the two questionable cans of beans to the health department.



The Indiana Department of Health concluded the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin. "When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process,” said Rita Hooten, the Food Service Director at the St. Joseph County Health Department. The state Department of Health says the most common rodents or insects found in canned vegetables are toads, mice and grasshoppers.

With news video.

No comments: