Thursday, April 25, 2013

Irish police called after chess player hauled 'cheating' teenage opponent out of toilet cubicle

Gardai were called to a chess tournament after one of Limerick’s best players claimed he caught his opponent “redhanded” cheating by using a computer tablet to get moves from a chess engine. Tensions rocketed and gardai were called to the venue after allegations of assault were made.



“It is a very serious incident. I was stopped to win the tournament. But the main problem is about cheating. I showed to the chess world the truth, and all appreciated this. I am waiting to see the reaction from the Irish Chess Union and from all,” said Romanian- born Gabriel Mirza who has been living in Limerick for the past 15 years. 47-year-old Gabriel was on his way to winning the Cork Congress Chess Open and a prize of €400 - the second biggest in the country - when he noticed strange goings-on by his 16-year-old opponent from a well known Dublin school.

“After each move he went to the toilet, at least 20 times ... I found him in the toilet with an android checking the moves with a chess engine. I tried to get over the cubical wall to grab the tablet from his hands, and firstly I was thinking to jump over inside that cubical. But I wanted a witness, so I ran straight to the controller, Mr Gerry Graham and called him to follow me immediately,” said Mr Mirza. “The organisers (Mr Michael Bradley) and other adult approached there at the Gents [and] followed me inside where I forced the cubical door and I pulled this guy out from the toilet. I just grabbed him and then I was stopped by the people behind me.”



“One of the organisers took me out and told me to relax and calm down. Then the guards were called. I spoke to a female guard and we will see what happens there,” Mr Mirza added. Mr Mirza said that he later apologised to the organisers for over-reacting at the tournament held in the Metropole Hotel, Cork. Gerry Graham, arbiter for the Cork Congress, expelled Gabriel from the tournament, for his over-reaction.

4 comments:

Brixter said...

And nothing else was said about the teenage cheater? I would have done the same thing.

Anonymous said...

"16-year-old opponent from a well known Dublin school"

Daddy probably 'knows people'.

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine what Bobby Fisher would have done?

Lurker111

SteveC said...

I must admit that during a table quiz in a local pub my table used a smart phone to get half the answers. The shame, the shame.

Even with cheating we still lost.