Saturday, April 06, 2013

Lack of pet adoptions blamed on black dog discrimination

Black dogs are so unpopular in Saskatchewan, Canada, they're being sent to British Columbia for a better chance of being adopted. Debbi Lehner, manager of the Prince Albert SPCA in Saskatchewan, says black dogs are often passed over for adoption in favour of lighter-coloured animals.

"They just pass right by them," said Lehner. "We do get some comments: 'No, I don’t want a black dog.' A lot of times reasons aren’t given, that's just their preference." Black dog syndrome, or black dog bias, is a phenomenon recognized by some veterinarians and dog shelters.



It's believed some potential owners might find lighter-coloured dogs more attractive. Some might also associate the colour black with misfortune, similar to the common superstition surrounding black cats. Noted dog psychologist Stanley Coren said black dog bias is rooted in culture and based on our human psychological response to colour. "Black is associated with the notion of strong, perhaps violent, perhaps evil," he said.

Lori Chortyk, spokesperson for the Vancouver SPCA, says black dog syndrome is less of a problem in B.C., but black animals in general will often stay in shelters longer than potential pets of any other colour. "We really try to help people look past colour or any other physical trait and really look at what is the personality that is going to match best in your home?" Chortyk said. The SPCA says potential pet owners should base their decisions on the temperament of the animal, rather than on colour and looks.

Video.

9 comments:

SteveC said...

In the west of Ireland, white cats are bad luck, not black ones. Colour discrimination must be regional.

arbroath said...

I'd never heard of white cats being regarded as unlucky before.

Do you know why they are seen as being bad luck?

Zhoen said...

I think black cats are smarter. Our cat is black. If we ever have a dog, it will be black as well. I think they are more beautiful.

Candy said...

To each his own...I think black dogs are beautiful. I've had many through the years.

WordyGrrl said...

Some of the animal shelters around here have the occasional "Black Friday" adoption event, during which adoption fees (which include shots and neutering, etc.) are half-priced for black animals. I don't understand the reluctance. Having a house panther is great!

xoxoxoBruce said...

Black dogs have a major drawback. It's really hard to get a good photograph of them.

Barbwire said...

I had two black cats, one of whom was the smartest cat I ever knew, and the other was the dumbest. The only problem was to make sure they were in the house around Halloween so no one would steal them. Anyway, I do not understand this. My daughters have 4 black dogs among them, all sweethearts.

tony m said...

I love my beautiful black Benny and he photographs well.

Anonymous said...

If the color of the animal's fur is their primary concern, I would submit that they are probably not suitable adopters.

I can't even walk into a shelter, because I want to take them ALL home with me.