Monday, April 22, 2013

Man who's just discovered he's 154 to claim 90 years of backdated pension

While leafing through some documents recently, Chris King from Hull realised his birth certificate has him recorded as being born in 1858 – making him 154 - and officially the oldest man in the world. In reality, Mr King was born in 1958 and is 54.



However, he is now making a claim to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for backdated pension money. Mr King, who was adopted when very young, which is why the mistake has only just come to light, said: "I only discovered the mistake a couple of days ago as I was going through some documents.

"This is a legally binding document, so I am going to approach the DWP to see about getting 90 years of pension backdated. I sat down and worked out I should be getting £375,000 and I'm going to fight to get this. I have never come across anything like this before but it isn't my mistake."



The DWP has dismissed Mr King's attempts to claim any backdated pension. A spokesman said: "We would not entertain the idea of giving him a backdated pension. It is clear he isn't that age and it is an obvious mistake. He needs to go to his local register office and get the mistake corrected."

No comments: