Sunday, April 21, 2013

Woman told she was 'too fat' to tan by salon

A woman was told she was too fat to tan at a tanning salon. Kelly McGrevey said she purchased a tanning package at Aloha Tanning in Norton, Ohio, on Monday after a quick tour of the salon. On Monday, McGrevey tanned in a standup bed.

When she returned on Tuesday, that bed was broken and she was told traditional beds were off-limits to heavy customers. "He said, "Sorry, but I'm not going to let you tan today because we've just implemented a new policy where anyone over 230 pounds can't go in one of our beds,'" said McGrevey.



"I was just so shocked and embarrassed and humiliated. It really upset me. It's discrimination," she said. McGrevey asked for a refund of the nearly $70 month-long tanning package so she could take her business somewhere else.

"I said, "Okay, I'd like my money back then. He said, no, we don't give refunds. I said, 'You're not going to give me a refund, I paid for a service that I'm not getting, and he said no, you can't have a refund," said McGrevey. She then called the police, filing a report against Justin Hileman, the owner of Aloha Tanning.

With news video.

4 comments:

Barbwire said...

I hate to say it, but some people are just too heavy to use certain equipment without doing damage.

Shak said...

Yes, but the tanning salon shouldn't have taken the money when they knew they could not accommodate her. Sounds like a scam.

Dunex said...

Give the fatty her money, what's the problem?

Anonymous said...

There's a buffet next door.