Friday, August 09, 2013

Crab gave otter a painful nip

André Sørlie from Rælingen, Norway, was on holiday in Hitra when he witnessed a painful drama on the waterfront, involving an otter and a warlike crab.

"I saw an otter and took my camera down to the shore," he says. "I saw at once that there was something unusual on the side of the head on the otter, but because it swam towards me with his head to the side, I could not see what it was.



"As it turned his head, I took this picture. The crab had fastened its claw on to the otter's left eye or the eye region. The otter and crab then disappeared. I imagine it was desperate to get away the crab," says Sørlie.

"The otter dived and disappeared. I could not see where it reappeared. One can hope that it managed to get rid of crab eventually, but nature can be brutal," he said.

No comments: