Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Jam-making lady tweeted for help after finding herself locked in church

A jam maker found herself in a pickle when she was locked inside a Plymouth church. Sarah Greep was inadvertently imprisoned inside the city's Minster Church of St Andrew on Sunday morning when volunteers locked up, unaware she was still inside. She therefore took to Twitter to get help.



Sarah, 43, who runs Janner Jam said: “I just went into the small chapel at St Andrew’s Church where I sometimes go, and didn’t think for one minute they were going to close the door. It was nice and calm and the sun was shining through the stained glass windows. I didn’t want to bother anyone but thought I would just send a few Tweets as it was a bit unusual. The next thing I know Tudor Evans is calling the police to help get me out!”



Council Leader Tudor Evans, Plymouth Herald Crime Reporter Carl Eve and Chief Inspector Brendan Brookshaw were among those who became involved in the mission to free Sarah. However she enjoyed her time alone in the church, exploring the building and taking in the peace and quiet. She even had time to make a video of her adventure.


YouTube link.

Eventually Chief Inspector Brendan Brookshaw, who had been contacted by Cllr Evans, was able to track down an emergency keyholder to the church. The keyholder came from Peverell to rescue her and she was finally freed after two hours. Sarah added: “It’s lucky it didn’t happen to someone more vulnerable and I’m glad I had my phone with me. I could have called someone but I just went to Twitter to say what was happening to me.”

No comments: