Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dog wears fancy dress costume


YouTube link.

I'm having a problem getting a lot of YouTube videos to play, both at YouTube or embedded. A lot the time I just get a black box or the spinning wheel of death if embedded. Others work perfectly. I initially thought it was to do with ads, but this now doesn't appear to be the case. I can't work out any common denominator. It happens whether I use Firefox, IE or Chrome. Videos at all other sources work fine. I've tried all the troubleshooting tips suggested by Google to no avail. I've also searched Google and several other people are having exactly the same problem. Any suggestions as to how to rectify or find a way around this would be greatly appreciated because it's driving me nuts.

Update: Fingers crossed, whatever was or wasn't occurring appears to have fixed itself.

7 comments:

Dave said...

I'm no expert but it would seem that your flash plugin is not working, that's why it's happening in all of the browsers. The reason why some of them work is because they are available as HTML5 and use the built-in HTML5 media player. So, you need to somehow fix your flash plugin. The easiest way is to uninstall it and do a reinstall. You might need to delete all the flash associated files and clean the registry first. I had a similar problem with Firefox last year. It was crashing all the time and I had to install an older version of the plugin.

arbroath said...

Thanks D.

I'm confused by this now.

Yesterday at lunchtimeish when I pre-posted the dog video above, it worked fine.

Late last night when I typed the text it was working fine.

Now, it won't play.

However, ALL the other YouTube video currently on the front page here do work.

Pfft!

arbroath said...

Also, if it's the flash plug-in why do videos at LiveLeak, Vimeo, the BBC and all the other news organisations work without a problem?

arbroath said...

And just to add more confusion to the mix, I've just fired-up my old Windows XP laptop and EXACTLY the same thing is happening.

The dog video won't play, but all the others on the front page do.

Gelvan Tullibole 3rd said...

I've been having an odd thing too.
Plays fine then stops and the audio repeats the last five seconds then it plays fine.
I think it might be YT that has a problem.

arbroath said...

The whole randomness of what was happening made me supect it was a problem at YouTube, although I still don't know what caused it.

Dave said...

Who knows, YouTube is changing its player so that could cause some issues. Usually it's the flash plugin that causes these problems. Almost everybody is switching to html5 so a lot of videos play even without it.