Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Golfer sues club after being losing fingers to crocodile in bunker

A New York, man has filed suit against a Mexican golf resort after be lost two fingers to a crocodile after chipping out of a sand trap. The horror unfolded when Edward Lunger hooked the ball to the left of the fairway at the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club in Mexico. “It was in the sand,” Lunger recalled. The 50-year-old engineer took a couple of practice swings and then chipped out of the bunker. He heard leaves rustle. “All of a sudden, his arm went back, and his head went back,” his friend Mark Martin recalled. “I saw the crocodile leap up.”



The angry female chomped down on Lunger’s left arm up to his elbow, using its tail and claws to drag Lunger to the sand, the men said. “She pulled me back and flipped me, and I went to the ground,” Lunger said. The 5-foot-8, 180-pound Holtsville resident managed to brace himself by getting a knee on the ground. “The crocodile was holding me down, and I pulled myself out,” he said. “I don’t remember even doing that.”

Martin jumped out of his golf cart and, in an adrenaline-fueled act of courage, grabbed a 40-pound boulder and smashed it onto the monster’s head just as Lunger freed himself. “That’s when I used the opportunity to run with Eddie,” said Martin, 52. The men used golf towels to make a tourniquet. “I’m thinking my whole hand is off,” Lunger recalled. “I couldn’t feel my hand. It was like my whole body was on fire.”



Paramedics took Lunger to a private hospital where, he claims, he was forced to pay the $17,800 bill up front before he could get treatment. Doctors managed to reattach Lunger’s index finger, but he lost his middle finger and most of his ring finger. “I don’t blame the crocodile,” Lunger said. But he does blame the golf course. Lunger says there were no warnings of raging reptiles. (Ahem). The $2.25 million suit alleges that the firm, which charged Lunger $79 for the round, introduced crocodiles to the golf course “as a marketing tourist attraction and hence profit- enhancing lure.”

No comments: