Thursday, January 30, 2014

Council demanded woman pay £0.00 parking fine or face court

A woman was wrongly given a £0.00 parking ticket then chased up for the non-existent fine weeks later. Josh Woodley, 40, was ticketed in Abbey Wood, south east London despite having paid £3.80 to park via text.



She thought nothing more of it until she received a letter from Bexley Council demanding she pay her £0.00 fine with 28 days or face court action.

Josh said: "At first I was furious because I knew I had paid but when I actually looked at it, it had ‘no pounds, no pence’ on it. I don’t know how much it costs them to post these things – they could be better using the funds for more important things.



"There is a part of me that wants to send a cheque to them for no pounds, no pence but I don’t want to waste a stamp." A council spokesman said both notices were issued by mistake and the “fine” has been cancelled.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's actually a story, from many years ago, from the mainframe computer era, where a man was sent an invoice for $0.00 and who sent a check for $0.00. The zero-dollar, zero-cent check cause the invoice-issuer's accounting program to crash.

I don't know if this is true or apocryphal, and I'm not quite sure how to google it.

Lurker111

arbroath said...

Heh heh, I hope it is true.

Anonymous said...

As always, Snopes.com to the rescue

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/zero.asp

arbroath said...

Thank you for that!

Anonymous said...

And thanks as well. A simple Snopes lookup never occurred to me.

Lurker111

sooz said...

Something similar happened to me when I was in college. I received a collection notice demanding payment of unpaid school fees in the amount of $0.00.

I went to the registrar's office several times to resolve the situation (as they were withholding my grades from me), to no avail. So finally I sent in a check for $0.00, and a few days later my grades came in the mail.

arbroath said...

Did they cash the cheque, Sooz? :)

Sooz said...

Ha! I never heard from my bank or the school about it, so my solution apparently resolved the situation ;-)