Wednesday, January 01, 2014

DJ Derek to spin his final tunes

The legendary DJ Derek brings the curtain down on a unique lifetime in music today. Derek Serpell-Morris, who has just turned 72, plays his final show at London's Notting Hill Arts Club on New Year's Eve. Former Cadbury accountant Derek became a reggae DJ by accident when he was in his mid-30s.



Derek, a resident of St Paul's, Bristol since 1978, said: "I was not even a DJ when I was at Cadbury. I was originally a washboard player in a local skiffle group and then a drummer in The Ramrods, a Bristol rock'n'roll group.


Vimeo link.

"But even back then I knew I loved black music more than I loved rock'n'roll." Derek's love of reggae and a growing record collection eventually led him to start DJ-ing at local pubs like the Star and Garter.


Vimeo link.

Derek says he feels the time is now right to hang up his headphones. He plans to spend his retirement travelling and visiting more pubs. As for the music, he says he will miss the gigs but he looks forward to listening to more tunes at home.

No comments: