In a kind of real-life Lassie story, a dog whose owner had just adopted him from a rescue group became the rescuer instead. Two months ago, Erin Cramer from Shelbyville, Indiana adopted Clobberhead from the local chapter of Greyhound Pets of America.
Cramer said Clobberhead started acting strangely one day when she stayed home sick from work.
He started banging his head against a wall, and when she took him outside for some air, he dragged her back inside.
It wasn't until Clobberhead successfully convinced Cramer to open the door to her laundry room that the danger finally hit home. It turns out there was a natural gas leak coming from the apartment's laundry room.
"This wall of gas just came pouring out," Cramer said.
Even scarier, her water heater had sprung a gas leak and, even more alarming, it was sparking.
Cramer said that experts told her that the sparks would have likely ignited the gas fumes and "taken out not only this house but several around me."
"If it wasn't for him (Clobberhead) coming into our lives, we probably wouldn't be here right now," Cramer said.