Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Man trapped in bathtub after being hit by sleeping motorist

A man taking a bath in northwest Oklahoma City at around 2:00pm on Sunday was injured when a car came crashing into his home. Jeremy Stewart, 25, drove his Volkswagen Jetta through a brick wall and into the bathroom of the home.



“I'm not drunk or anything obviously,” said Stewart. He claimed he was up all night and fell asleep driving home. “I'm awake now,” Stewart said after the crash. Gwen Melton was in her kitchen making a sandwich at the time of the accident. “I heard this boom and I heard him screaming and the house shook,” Melton said.

Melton said she thought the crash was a bomb or earthquake and ran to check on her son. “I could see there was something terribly wrong. He said, ‘Get me out of here, get me out of here, get me a towel,’” Melton said. Her son was trapped in the bathtub. Firefighters quickly arrived and pulled the car out of the bathroom.


YouTube link.

“The tub, the toilet area, everything was just smashed,” said Oklahoma City Fire District Chief Chad Everett. Gary Dean Melton, 46, was pulled out of the hole the car created. As for Stewart, he was given an energy drink and a ticket for distracted driving. Melton was taken to the hospital with a large cut on his leg but is expected to recover. Stewart was not injured.

No comments: