Wednesday, April 16, 2014

North Korean officials visited London hairdresser to complain about window poster of Kim Jong-un

Seeking an suitable image to promote a special offer, a hairdressers in west London attracted more than just extra customers when it used a large poster of the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, in its window.



When M&M Hair Academy in south Ealing put up the 1-metre-by-1.2-metre poster featuring Kim's distinctive short back and sides with longer centre parting and the words "Bad hair day?", they received a visit from disgruntled North Korean officials. Unbeknown to the salon's owner, Mo Nabbach, 51, the North Korean embassy is just 10-minute stroll away, inside a modest semi-detached house in Gunnersbury.

"The day after it went up two Asian-looking guys wearing suits turned up. One was taking pictures and the other taking notes," said Nabbach. "I said to my client at the time, 'I think they are North Korean officials.' Then they came in. They asked: 'Who put that picture up?' I said I did. He said the pair told him the poster was disrespectful and must come down. They said: 'That is a country's national leader.' I explained to them we often used pictures of celebrities, Lady Diana, Victoria Beckham.



"I told them: 'Listen, this is not North Korea. This is England.' They asked for my name and I told them they would have to get their solicitors for that." Nabbach said he asked them to leave, and later reported the incident to his local police station. The two did not identify themselves as being from the North Korean embassy, he said. But a Metropolitan police spokesman said: "I can confirm that the North Korean embassy have contacted us and that we are in liaison with them. Officers spoke to all parties. No offences have been disclosed."

No comments: