Thursday, April 24, 2014

US Air Force lieutenant fined for snapping tail off topiary dog after being found sitting astride it

A US Air Force lieutenant on an all-day pub crawl ended up astride a topiary dog outside the home of a celebrity dog trainer, a court heard. First lieutenant Christopher Mesnard, 26, started his marathon drinking session at a champagne bar in Paddington Station in London. He had planned to drink half a pint in 26 pubs along the Circle underground line.



But he lost his friends and was found in the early hours on top of the dog sculpture outside the Notting Hill mews home of Lucy Kennedy. When he was discovered by Miss Kennedy, who screamed at him, he fell backwards, snapping off the dog’s tail. On Wednesday, Mesnard was fined £250 after he admitted criminal damage. Mensard initially denied touching the dog but changed his plea to guilty on the day of the trial.

He told Hammersmith Magistrates' Court: "I just want to start off with my sincerest apologies for causing so much angst over the damage to the property and to my fellow servicemen and women for representing them so badly. A apologise for drinking so much. After learning how intoxicated I had become I am embarrassed and feel I cannot fight the case. I acted out of the norm. It sickens me that I have caused Miss Kennedy so much distress.



"I am ashamed that as an officer I behaved in this way and as an officer I face further punishment. I've learned a great lesson from my actions ... I failed everyone and myself this time." District Judge Samantha Bain told Mesnard: "I take into account that your name has been besmirched, which is a serious thing for yourself." She fined him £250, with £150 costs and a £25 victim surcharge and ordered him to pay £995 compensation to Miss Kennedy.

No comments: