Saturday, May 03, 2014

Man attacked by red kite as he filmed it

A man was attacked by a large bird of prey, which knocked him off his feet in his back garden. The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, was with his five-year-old daughter when the red kite swooped down at them in Yateley, Hampshire.

He said: “I saw a bird flying low over the houses, when all of a sudden it swooped down, opened its wings and went for me and my daughter. It went into me and knocked me over and then flew away.


YouTube link.

“I have seen it again since then, landing on nearby roofs. They obviously scavenge for food but we were just standing in the garden when it attacked us. I don’t want someone getting hurt by this thing.

“Looking at the size of its wings, it could take kittens or rabbits and, God forbid, injure children.” The man and his daughter were unscathed, but he wanted to warn families, especially those planning barbecues this summer, to be wary of the invader. He managed to film the moment the large bird knocked into him. The RSPB stressed that red kites are not a danger to people.

3 comments:

Ratz said...

Red kites are relatively small as these things go. Perhaps he looked rodenty.

I got some quite good photos of red kites by tossing cubed lamb down a hill and getting them to follow it. But they're as bad as pigeons; big cowards. You need one or two to swoop down before the rest are brave enough to follow.

Anonymous said...

It almost looked as if it came from a direction putting the sun between itself and its target.

WilliamRocket said...

Fair enough. Some of do not like to be filmed. Also, there are legal requirements regarding using someone's image, he should have sought the bird's permission before filming, got a signed slip even. Some believe that taking one's picture also takes their soul, so you can see why the kite may have been a tad upset with the weirdo with the camera.
If I was in a walking past and the guy started filming me, there is a very good chance that I would have knocked him down too. Perhaps he should learn to think of the consequences before he willy nilly goes about doing just what he wants.