Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Man's musical neck tattoos prevented him from entering electronic music appreciation event

The head phones tattooed on hairdresser Ryan Rees’s neck, celebrating his love of electronic music, were the reason he was rejected from an Electronic Music Appreciation Society event held at Ambar nightclub in the Subiaco suburb of Perth, Western Australia, last month. “I got them to signify my love and passion for music and the craft of DJing,” he said. The 28-year-old, who also has the phrase Good Music Makes a Good Life tattooed on his neck, said an Ambar staff member asked him to leave the queue because people with neck tattoos were not permitted in the club.

“I pleaded with the girl ‘take a good look at me?’ he said. “I’m a tall thin gay man who has two neck tattoos that are musical. I’m coming to a music venue. You can’t seriously think that I’m out to cause some kind of trouble?” The 28-year old said he feels discriminated against by the club, which he has been frequenting with neck tattoos since 2007. “It’s like because of my appearance I’m being affiliated with troublemakers, gangs and bikies,” he said. “Why am I being punished for something I have chosen to do as a creative form of expression and then be treated like I’m some kind of criminal?”



Under the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, there is no protection for people who are discriminated against due to appearance. WA’s Acting Equal Opportunity Commissioner Allanah Lucas said Victoria was the only state which had Equal Opportunity law that protected people being discriminated against due to their appearance. “However, if someone’s physical appearance was in connection with a particular ground under the Act, for example, sex, race, pregnancy, or impairment, then refusing entry to a club could be unlawful,’ she said.

President of the Electronic Music Appreciation Society Iain McIntyre, said although his group welcomed people with any type of tattoo, he supported the rights of Ambar nightclub where he held his event. “It’s a fair policy to my mind and the door girl was just doing her job,” he said. “Her decision was the fairest possible as I think it’d be unfair for her to have the kind of discretion to pick and choose beyond enforcing an accepted and published policy.” Ambar spokesperson Marika Mazzucchelli said “Ambar chooses to enforce a dress code encompassing no exposed or visible neck or facial tattoos which adheres to the Department Racing Gaming and Liquors Policy.”

6 comments:

BoS said...

"the craft of DJing"

Playing records is so very difficult.

arbroath said...

I've never understood why the ability to spin a few tunes should be so revered.

And indeed, so lucrative in many cases.

Miss Cellania said...

He might have a case, if his tattoos didn't look so jailhouse. Use a little color!

Ratz said...

Mixing and beat-matching can take a fair bit of skill and if done right, people don't notice you're doing anything at all. But I wouldn't bother to get a tattoo just to celebrate it. If we did that we'd be like boy scouts only with tattoos. Learnt not to wet myself, tattoo; first job, tattoo; learnt my 20th programming language, tattoo; been fired the first time, tattto. Etc. Though now I come to think of it, celebrating all life's events with a tatt may make you look like a freak, but you'd have an interesting corpse.

WilliamRocket said...

!!! 20 programming languages !!!
I am impressed hexidecimally !!!

Ratz said...

WilliamRocket: It's like spoken languages, once you've covered enough, you're only learning the differences. Though I don't profess to be too accomplished in that respect. However, I went to Iceland with my mother (who was a linguist) and before we left she picked up icelandic in under a fortnight. Apparently it was "Very similar to a 400 year old dialect of Swedish". My Swedish is still limited to ordering a particular yogurt.