Friday, May 16, 2014

Teenager caught 3-foot, 40 pound 'river monster' on flooded street

Monday night's rains brought a lot of flooding to North Royalton, Ohio, and according to Jeremiah Sawyer, it also brought a "river monster" onto the streets.



"The neighbours they pointed out, they saw, like bubbles and stuff moving around over here. Then eventually we saw the fish actually surface and we saw how big it was," said Jake, his 16-year-old son. Jake decided to rescue the fish. "Hillbilly fishing," he added.

Raw video.

YouTube link.

The fish, which appeared to be about 3-feet-long and weigh about 40 pounds, was a white amur, which can grow up to 80 pounds. "Right here, I managed to get it trapped in this corner, and I just kind of went like this, and it got stuck up here, and I just kinda grabbed my hands around it and just lifted it up," said Jake.

News video.

YouTube link.

"And I had this whale of a giant fish. ... My arms were falling asleep once I was walking back. It was a good 40 pounds." After taking photos, Jake walked the fish back to the pond beyond his home. "Our basement got flooded, and we were still were able to make it an enjoyable night considering," said his dad, Jeremiah.

No comments: