Sunday, July 13, 2014

Engine trouble turned out to be a 7-foot python

When a woman's pick-up stalled on a street in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on Thursday local chef Jackson Ault stopped to lend a hand. Ault and the driver both ended up with a surprise they discovered a brown and yellow python slithering across the engine block.



“I popped the hood and I looked right down at the battery and I noticed this big spotted lump,” recalled Ault. Slithering through the engine compartment was a 7-foot long Burmese Python, not what Ault or the Toyota Tacoma’s driver expected. “She screamed at the top of her lungs, and jumped back about 10 or 15 feet,” he said. “I started screaming some obscenities, cause it really caught me off guard.”

Ault isn’t fond of snakes. When he called Animal Control, the officer asked him to check if the snake was alive. “It flicked its tongue out at me and saw those crazy snake eyes, and then it proceeded to crawl around on top of the V-6,” said Ault. Santa Fe Police Lieutenant Louis Carlos was first on scene, and lifted the python out of the truck’s engine.


YouTube link.

“It’s obvious after I picked her up that she started to curl herself around me, and it’s obvious that she’s used to the human touch, she’s used to being handled,” Carlos said. The snake made it out alright, with minor injuries, mainly redness on her tail and midsection. Now at the animal shelter, workers believe the python sought warmth from the truck’s engine, and likely has a home nearby.

2 comments:

Barbwire said...

As my grandson and his friend reached their soccer pitch, his friend said he'd heard noises. He opened the hood, and found a little orange kitten. My daughter took the kitten to the vet, who pronounced her fine, too young for shots, and covered with fleas, which apparently survived the ride as well as she did. My daughter was already in love, so they took her home and named her Kevin, the red-headed friend in whose engine she was found.

Their Lab/Border Collie mix has adopted the kitten, and my son-n-law is in love too. He's never had a kitten before. Sooo much better than finding a python!

arbroath said...

Aww! :)