Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Woman fighting to get back lost dog after he was adopted by family that won't give him back

Four-year-old Killer, a white fluffy Pomeranian maltipoo mix, is in another home instead of sleeping on 25-year-old Meghan Gregor's pillow in Bakersfield, California. Gregor says the nightmare started on November 3, when she gave Killer a haircut. "It looked horrible, I'm not going to lie that poor little thing, but I have been doing it for a while so I've been getting better and better at it," she said. Gregor raised Killer from birth. He was one of the two puppies her old dog Toots had. Gregor gave Killer a bath after his haircut and put him outside to dry off, then went upstairs to shower. About 30 minutes later Killer was nowhere to be found.



"Well I guess the gardener's came... and I came to let him back in and was like, 'Killer! Killer!' like, freaking out." Gregor said. She immediately went to her car and started driving around the neighborhood. She taped posters all over the neighbourhood and had search parties made up of friends and family. She also posted a Craigslist advertisement for her missing dog. On November 6th she found out her neighbour had found Killer and taken him to Kern County Animal Services, but she couldn't go to him. She was at a dialysis appointment because her kidneys have failed.



Gregor found out her organs were failing in the beginning of February and that's when the hospital visits started. Since then she has had a daily regimen of 30 plus pills and a nine-hour dialysis treatment. She was ordered by the doctor to take time off of work. On November 7th Gregor went in to KCAS and sees her best friend, "he was so excited to see me, I was like 'Killer baby!' and you know he's doing his little circles, like so excited, you know whining at me and I'm like 'Don't worry I'm going to get you out!'" Gregor went to the front desk and after an employee looked up her dog, Gregor was told Killer is not legally hers anymore. He had been adopted out two hours previously. "I'm crying I'm like 'no, you don't understand - this dog is very important to me',"


YouTube link.

Gregor pleaded with the employee. Gregor also said Animal Services called the woman who adopted Killer, but the new owner did not want to know about her and did not care. Gregor was also told by an employee at the shelter that the new owner didn't want to give up the dog and that this had never happened before. Employees have had cases where a dog will be adopted but if the family comes looking for it, the new owner always returns the dog. "I'm not supposed to have a lot of stress in my life which I already have," Gregor said. On top of her medical concerns, she is going through a divorce. Her determination to persevere is what keeps her going. "I'm going to request for the new owner's information and see where that goes," Gregor said.

No comments: