Tuesday, December 16, 2014

'Smug' traffic warden gave Santa's sleigh a parking ticket

A 'smug' traffic warden slapped a ticket on a car delivering Santa’s sleigh. Father Christmas’s favourite mode of transport was about to go out collecting money for charity in Hinckley town centre, Leicestershire. Volunteer Chris Uttley was left frustrated when his car, which was towing the Hinckley Round Table sleigh, was caught by a female warden last Saturday. Mr Uttley drove the sleigh and placed it outside of the Co-op before moving his car outside of the retractable bollards and parking it briefly on zig-zag lines near to the pedestrian crossing. He was waiting for other volunteers to meet him to take over the sleigh and hold the collection.

He said: “I had moved outside of the bollards to avoid blocking the way or being locked in. There was nowhere else nearby to park and I didn’t want to just leave the sleigh - it could have been vandalised. I moved the car out of the way as much as I could. I walked back to the sleigh to take over a bag of collection tins that were in my car. My back was turned for no more than 30 seconds. As I turned and walked back towards my car I found a traffic warden issuing me a ticket. I explained the circumstances only to be told that there was nothing that could be done.



“This now falls to the charity to pick up the parking ticket out of much-needed funds given to us by the public. I thought it was very heartless - I was shocked. The vehicle was not unattended and there wasn’t any observation time given. Santa was absolutely shocked and said the warden should be put on the naughty list and get a lump of coal for Christmas.” The ticket was given in under a minute. It was issued at 9.03am and observed from 9.03am to 9.03am. The fine will cost the charity £35 if they pay it within 14 days or £70 after that.

Mr Uttley added: “I found the warden was very smug. It was as though she was waiting for me to move and she pounced on us. Obviously I would never have parked there normally but you’d have thought there would be some special discretion. We have spoken to the county council and I hope they will do something about this.” A Leicestershire County Council spokesman said: “We are reviewing the ticket and looking carefully at the reasons the driver has given for parking on the zig-zag lines next to a pedestrian crossing.” Last year the Hinckley Round Table collection raised more than £5,000 for charitable causes and the volunteers are hoping to raise even more this year.

2 comments:

Dunex said...

Police or Charity, if you park in the wrong zone you got yourself to blame.

Anonymous said...

The warden never got that Malibu Barbie she asked Santa for that one year.

Lurker111