Thursday, January 22, 2015

Sewage plagued homeowner unhappy about being told that rats would not cause her to be ill

A homeowner who suffers frequent sewage overflows in her garden was left stunned to be told the rats it has brought do not cause a health issue. Carol Chalkley, of Althorne, Essex, owns a 17th century timber-framed cottage and has had years of flooding problems in her back garden after heavy rainfall, the latest as recently as Thursday last week. The backed up water has resulted in structural damage to her cottage, as well as a rat problem in her garden.



She already has a complaint with Anglian Water, but in December this year, when Miss Chalkley called Maldon District Council to assist with the rat problem, she says she received a surprising response. She said: "I had a foot of sewage and waste up to my back door, plus it was creeping into my floor boarding. On top of my drain was a dead rat. I was obviously very concerned. When I called Maldon District Council I spoke to an officer about my rat problem and he responded by saying that 'rats would not cause me to be ill'.

"He was rather patronising saying 'people have them as domestic pets you know'. I was angry and disgusted with this comment." The council told Ms Chalkley that no environmental officer was free to visit her home to discuss the sewage and rat problem and she was instead sent a booklet on how to maintain a grade II listed property. The 43-year-old continued: "I thought that was ridiculous." Maldon District Council has said they investigated the drainage problem and agreed to revisit the property with a conservation officer.



A council spokesman added: "The officer in question is very experienced and professional and gave advice about the public health significance of rodent activity and the relevance in this particular situation. It is unfortunate that Mrs Chalkley was dissatisfied with the advice as the council always aims to provide a good customer experience through every contact." Anglian Water has said that it is aware of the problem and is looking at a long-term solution, but it was a "complicated challenge to address".

No comments: