Sunday, April 26, 2015

Cars smashed by mysterious heavy object

A mystery is unravelling along Interstate 285 in DeKalb County, Georgia, after a heavy object smashed into three cars near Spaghetti Junction on Friday. The drivers said it took them a few seconds to realise they had even survived the wreck. That's just how stunned they were. Luckily they are all alive, but they still do not know what happened.



Motorist Johnathon McIntyre said he never expected this. "As soon as I looked over, I saw something fly up," he said. "It was coming right for me." What "it" was is still unclear. "Honestly, I don't know. It was about the size of a skateboard. It was pretty big," McIntyre said. "I heard the impact and felt the glass fly all over me. And I looked over, because apparently I made it through it."

Two other cars were also hit by the mysterious object – including one driven by Karen Ellis, visiting metro Atlanta from San Diego. "I see what looks like a three-foot boulder come flying at my car," Ellis said. The undercarriage of her car was damaged, but still drivable. McIntyre's car, which he had only recently bought, was a total loss.



Thankfully, he is still alive to tell the story. "I got out to look at his and I couldn't believe it," Ellis said. "I was amazed he was alive." McIntyre and Ellis said the third vehicle was struck in the tyres, and that it was towed away. As far as what the mystery object was? There was no way to find out – it had disappeared as rapidly as it struck.

With news video.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it was in any way solid, there should be traces of it on the car body and glass. And it would be worthwhile for the forensics unit to investigate this seriously, with the expenditure of some resources, as there were nearly three fatalities here.

Was there an overpass involved? maybe someone dropped a block of ice, which might have shattered and fairly quickly disappeared in the Atlanta heat. Would love to see a follow-up on this.

Lurker111

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was a big rock on a rope

Anonymous said...

Or a big rock on a bungee cord.

Kevin said...

I live a few miles from this. Temp was 75 max for the day with no rain, just cloudy. The junction they talk about is a big, multi-level clover leaf where two interstates exchange. Conceivably, some piece of metal could have flown off an overpacked salvage truck or other open bed truck as it went at speed over one of the over passes. But to not be able to find the object...well.

Barbwire said...

Drones. It was drones!