Sunday, May 31, 2015

Woman unhappy about finding dead fly in her steak pasty

A woman was horrified when she found a dead fly in a meal she had bought from a supermarket in Derby. Helen Pack was halfway through the Asda peppered steak pasty when she found the fly and rushed off to the bathroom to be sick. Miss Pack, 44, of Sinfin, bought the pack of pasties for £2 from Asda last month. She said: "I immediately put them in the freezer when I got in from the shop. They weren't in there for long, only for about a week, before I took them out to cook them for me, my son, Kyle, and his friend, Martin."



Soon after she had started tucking into her meal, she noticed something. Miss Pack said: "I looked a bit closer and I realised that it was a dead fly in my pasty. I had to get up very quickly and go to the bathroom to be physically sick because I had already eaten some of the pasty before realising there was a fly in it. Kyle and Martin threw theirs away after that just in case. They hadn't started eating yet but it had put them off altogether."

Outraged Miss Pack then went back to Asda with the evidence. She said: "Kyle took a couple of photos of the pasty and the fly on his phone and then I took it all in to Asda in the box. At first, they asked me if I wanted another box of the same pasties, which I most definitely did not. I told them there was no way I was eating them again, not after that. So then they offered me a five pounds Asda voucher instead, which I thought was a bit ridiculous." Staff at Asda then took the pasty, along with the fly to send off for tests.



Since the incident, Asda has contacted Miss Pack to offer her a £15 voucher as compensation. She said: " I really don't think it is enough for what I went through and what I'm still going through. I'm now finding myself cutting my food up into ever such small pieces and having a close look at what I'm eating with every bite." An Asda spokesman said: "We have strict quality control systems in place to prevent against this type of thing happening but, on this one occasion, it seems something managed to slip through the net. We have spoken to Miss Pack to apologise and offered a gesture of goodwill to make up for any upset caused."

No comments: