Friday, July 03, 2015

Sacked driving instructor says he was just pretending to be asleep - Update

A driving instructor who was sacked when a photo emerged appearing to show him asleep at work says he was merely pretending to snooze. The man, who asked to remain anonymous, was photographed by Laura Martin, 22, near Norwich City's Carrow Road stadium.

He said when the learner driver pulled up at a red light he had joked about "having a kip" to break the tension. He claims the episode has left his professional reputation in "tatters". "The lights had just turned red," said the instructor, who was axed as a contractor with 5Day after the incident.



"He was bit nervous and it was only his second day out and I just said to him, 'right, I'm going to have a kip, wake me up before we go'. So I closed my eyes and after 10 or 15 seconds I snored. He laughed and I laughed and basically it just relaxed the tension. From then on, he drove on and was a lot more relaxed. It was a tension-breaker more than anything. I know what it looks like but it was completely different."

The instructor insisted closing his eyes for a few seconds had not put anyone in danger because they were stopped with the handbrake on and with the gear in neutral throughout. He stressed he wanted to try to rebuild his career and reputation. Norfolk Police had confirmed it received a complaint from a member of the public about the incident but has now said is not taking any action in connection with the matter.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

That's just the most lame excuse I ever heard. How would pretending to sleep put a student at their ease? If he's going to make up something couldn't he at least put some effort into thinking of something at least vaguely plausible?