A man trying to kill a spider at a petrol station in Center Line, Michigan, caused a dangerous fire. Using a lighter to kill the bug, he started a blaze that quickly engulfed the pump.
He somehow escaped serious injury and the station's damage was contained to one pump, which was destroyed.
Employee Susan Adams kept calm and hit the fuel automatic stop button and quickly called the Center Line fire department.
The man grabbed a nearby extinguisher and put out the flames before firefighters arrived. Later he admitted what he did, saying he spotted a spider on his gas tank and because he's deathly afraid of them.
He pulled out his lighter and decided to burn it.
But his embarrassing mistake didn't stop the man from coming back the next day as a customer.
"He was sorry," Susan said. "He was sorry, he said he didn't know. It is just one of those things that happen - stupidity."
Adams said this serves as a reminder about being careful around gas pumps. Whether it is using a cell phone or static electricity, the smallest spark can cause a fire.
The accident is expected to be covered by the station's insurance.