Saturday, November 28, 2015

Dog recovering after unfortunate accident left him with a stick stuck in his urethra

An unusual accident while enjoying his walkies left a dog with a rather peculiar injury. Basil the elderly Jack Russell was enjoying a run along the river bank in Chapel Hill, Lincolnshire, on Wednesaday when the freak incident took place and he got a ridged plant stalk stuck up his urethra.



“He was walking like John Wayne when he ran back to us so I knew something was wrong,” said owner Jill Larcombe, who rescued Basil as a stray 10 years ago. “So I checked him and when I saw it I did a double take. I thought ‘oh my goodness, it can’t be’ - there was this stick-like shaft sticking three inches out of him. I tried to give it a little pull but he went ballistic.”



Jill then spoke to another couple walking their dog who recommended she take Basil to Pilgrim Vets in Boston. “We rushed him in and he was seen without an appointment,” Jill said, “They were absolutely fantastic.” The vets realised they would need to sedate poor Basil to get the offending object out - and the sensitive job was done quickly with a little lubrication. Vet Sharon Crockett who performed the task said: “I’m baffled as to how he managed to do it.



“It’s obviously not a particularly big hole, so to get something as precise as that is quite astonishing. It was a good two-and-a-half inches up there and fully wedged, but Basil took it all remarkably well. It’s certainly the most eye-watering case I’ve ever dealt with.” Feeling rather sorry for himself, the pooch was back home and tucked up in bed back that night to get over the ordeal. Jill added: “He was in pain that night but the next morning he was completely back to normal - running around the garden and cocking his leg as normal.”

3 comments:

Ratz said...

As I was scrolling down (whilst making a terrible face) I was thinking "I do not want a picture, I do not want a picture.. Aaaaargh."

arbroath said...

Hahaha, sorry about that!

xoxoxoBruce said...

I for one thank you for the picture, as it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. My imagination's image would give me nightmares.