Monday, November 16, 2015

Terrifying moment that metal platform smashed through windscreen of lorry caught on camera

An HGV driver from Salford, Greater Manchester, cheated death as a metal platform smashed through the windscreen of his cab. Video footage shows an aluminium construction stand flying off the back of a pick-up truck and into the cab of David Monaghan. And quick-thinking David dodged death as he ducked down inside his vehicle just in time to avoid being crushed by the metal missile. Amazingly he was left with just cuts to the back of his head.



The 62-year-old, who was in Shrewsbury while travelling to work at the time of the collision, also managed to bring the lorry to a standstill before careering onto a roundabout. And David, who records all his journeys on a dash cam for insurance purposes, said he is just happy that no one else was injured in the accident. He said: “I still can’t believe it happened – I thought I was dead. I had two seconds to make a decision and luckily it was the right one. I managed to put my foot on the brake, the clutch, keep my hand on the steering wheel and duck down. I don’t know how I did it.





“But I am so glad I did because I keep thinking about what might have happened if my lorry would have flown on to that roundabout. I could have piled into a number of other cars, I could have killed countless others.” After the crash panicked members of the public rushed to David’s aid, including the driver of the pick-up truck that the metal platform had come off. David, who is currently taking time off work as he comes to terms with the death-defying experience, said: “I didn’t know where I was after it happened, I just kept my head down in the cab of my lorry.


YouTube link. David Monaghan's original YouTube footage.

“The driver of the pick-up came over and he thought I was dead. I couldn’t move so I just put my hand up and waved to him. Luckily there was also an off-duty paramedic who was right behind me who also helped. I was showered in glass, and have got a cut on the back of my head, but it could have been far far worse. I am just thankful to still be here.” David’s employer’s insurance firm have now launched an investigation into the incident. The footage has also been shared with police who say they may launch an investigation into how the load was secured.

No comments: