Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Lawyer who says he won’t represent drunk drivers arrested on suspicion of DUI

An attorney who states in a commercial that he will not represent drunken drivers was arrested on suspicion of DUI in Florida on Saturday. David Maloney, 49, was booked into the Escambia County Jail at around 3:30am on a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence.



He was released on $500 bond about 6 hours later. Maloney was taken into custody after a deputy observed a Lamborghini speeding in Pensacola Beach and pulled the car over, said Escambia County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Deputy Jacob Holloway. “During the traffic stop the deputy developed enough probable cause that David J. Maloney was driving under the influence.

He was placed under arrest and booked in the Escambia County Jail,” Holloway said. Maloney touts his services in commercials. In one ad, titled “DrunkDriving,” the attorney based in Mobile, Alabama, stated that he would not represent drunken drivers. “Believe it or not, I still sometimes get calls from people who think that they can convince me or pay me enough to represent them in a drunk driving context,” Maloney said in a video from 2012.


YouTube link.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if you drink and you drive and you hurt someone, don’t call me. I’m not going to represent you, I’m not going to help you. If anything, I’m going to be the lawyer going after you.” Maloney handles a variety of legal cases, including general personal injury claims, motor vehicle accidents and DUI victims. He is scheduled to appear in court on June 1.

No comments: