Saturday, June 11, 2016

Woman offers reward for return of missing prosthetic hand she lost during night out

A woman who lost her prosthetic hand while on a night out in Plymouth, Devon, is offering a £100 reward for its safe return. Student, Amelia Welch, 20, was partying with friends at Oceana night club after a university summer ball on Friday, June 3.



She took her prosthetic hand off in the bathroom and the next morning realised it was missing. "I don't know at what point I lost it, but I didn't have it the next day," Amelia said. "I think I went to the toilet, took it off, probably left it and didn't realise."



Amelia, who has just finished her first year of a marine biology degree at Plymouth University, was born with a congenital hand malformation, meaning she does not have the use of her right hand. She does not wear the prosthetic limb every day, but says it is very important and is asking for help to track it down. "It's really special to me because I wear it when I go out," she said. "I feel lost without, it would mean the world to me to get it back.



"It's an aesthetic thing. There are not many things I struggle with, but the prosthetic gives me confidence and it's really expensive. I'm worried that somebody has maybe picked it up thinking it's a joke and thrown it away. It's priceless to me but worthless to anyone else." Amelia, originally from Somerset, says the hand is worth £3,000 and would be difficult to replace. She has contacted Oceana and Devon and Cornwall Police but had no luck so far.

2 comments:

Ratz said...

Update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36510259

I note nobody mentions she may have been so pissed as to have forgotten her own (fake)hand. A friend of my mother had a selection of glass eyes in various shades of bloodshot depending on how half-cut he was.

arbroath said...

Cheers for that, Ratz!