Monday, April 21, 2008

Woman is terrified of buttons

Student Gillian Linkins suffers one of the world’s most bizarre phobias – a fear of buttons.

Gillian, 22, can’t even stand to be in the same room as friends and family who wear them. She first realised her fear aged seven, when she refused to put on her school blouse.

The sight of buttons sends Gillian into panic attacks and boyfriend Nate Dorrington, 23, can only wear clothes with zips.

She said: “I’ve had the fear as long as I remember. My mum says I freaked out when it was time to get dressed. I have always been fearful of buttons, especially when they are grouped together.”

But Gillian’s not alone. Her phobia – officially named Koumpounophobia – affects one in 75,000 people. A spokesman for The National Phobics Society said: “The phobia often affects children and the problem can persist into adulthood.

“We suggest cognitive behavioural therapy as a way to self-manage the phobia.”

No comments: