Sunday, February 22, 2009

Woman's anti-suicide Asbo to stay

Magistrates have refused to lift an anti-social behaviour order on a woman who has made repeated seaside suicide attempts. Amy Beth Dallamura, 45, of Hove, Sussex, waded out to sea and leapt off piers, jetties, rocks and cliffs when she lived in Aberystwyth.

A previous court hearing heard how she had cost emergency services nearly £1m after they had rescued her 50 times. She told magistrates in Aberystwyth the order was "no longer necessary", but they refused to lift it.

The Asbo was imposed for an indefinite period in January 2006 after Ms Dallamura, a former golf professional, made repeated suicide attempts. Magistrates in Aberystwyth banned her from going in the sea, onto beaches or onto the promenade in the town.



Ms Dallamura said she moved to live with her family in Hove in September last year, and recently had an operation which had enabled her to walk again. She added: "The reason why I request the Asbo to be lifted is because my life has changed quite significantly.

"I feel I've been judged harshly, but I know I have caused concern. I have not gone near the sea in Sussex. I want to plan for the future, be productive and do something with my life." Ms Dallamura said she had no reason to return to Aberystwyth because she had sold her flat and had settled in Hove.

Aberystwyth magistrate Huw Williams said the Asbo had been imposed for good reason, and would remain in place until further notice. Ms Dallamura was ordered to pay £500 court costs.

No comments: