Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mother fined £50 after baby dropped banana from pram

A Grimsby mother was left "disgusted" after she was slapped with a £50 littering fine when her baby dropped the end of a banana out of his pram. Kirsty Allen, 29, of Oxford Street, was stopped by a council warden as she was walking with 16-month-old Lennon along Victor Street last Wednesday. She was given the ticket after the warden saw the piece of fruit fall out of the tot's pram.

Mrs Allen said: "He loves bananas and I have given him one to eat to settle him down. He must have finished eating it and left the end of it on the blanket. It rolled off the side of the pram and landed in a big puddle.



"I didn't really think of it as litter as I thought it would either be eaten by birds or just decompose. The warden pulled me up and issued me with a £50 fine. I think it is disgusting – I was lost for words and trust me, that doesn't happen often!"

North East Lincolnshire Council dispute that the it was the tip of the banana that was dropped - saying that it was their understanding that it was the skin of the fruit that was discarded. However Mrs Allen claims that she is certain that it was the end of the fruit and that she pointed out to the warden that the peel of the banana had been kept safe to stop it from being dropped.

No comments: