Thursday, February 18, 2010

Woman threatened with court over 1p debt

Court action has been threatened against a woman – over a 1p debt. Mary Gibson has been given until today (Thursday) to settle a crisis loan she took out eight years ago. Mrs Gibson, 50, of Godfrey Street, Netherfield, Nottingham, received a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) last Wednesday.

She said she had thought she'd paid off the loan in 2006 – four years after taking it out. She said: "I can't remember how much the loan was or what it was for as it was so long ago. I must have borrowed some money to buy a washer or something.

"At first I thought the letter was something to do with retirement, as I turned 50 last December. Instead, it was a three-page letter about money I owe to the Social Fund. The thing that made me laugh is I haven't had to pay anything since 2006, and four years later I get this letter."



The letter states that the department had written to Mrs Gibson in March 2003 about the outstanding debt and that it hadn't yet been settled. The letter says she last made a payment on December 22, 2006.

The DWP writes: "The total amount you owe the Social Fund in £0.01. You must pay this back. You can pay by installments or you can pay all of the money you owe in one payment." The letter adds: "You should get in touch with us or send the declaration back by 18/02/10. We may have to take you to court if we do not hear from you by then."

Mrs Gibson, who works as a fabric cutter at Hilary's Blinds in Bilborough, added: "I might send them 2p and tell them to keep the change, or send them a 1p cheque which will cost them more to cash. It must have cost a lot more than 1p to print this three-page letter, to post it to me, and to supply me with a prepaid first-class envelope."

No comments: