Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Kitten has run-in with police

A four-week-old kitten that spent two hours stuck in a police highway patrol car bumper could well be Sydney's luckiest cat. The kitten used up one of its nine lives when it leapt into the moving vehicle and got stuck inside the bumper cavity. Senior Constable Tex Tannous says he was patrolling at Cartwright in Sydney's south-west on Friday when he narrowly avoided hitting the kitten.

He braked sharply and assumed the animal had run off. Later, as he set up to breath test drivers for Anzac Day long weekend operations, he heard purring coming from the engine. "It's decided to climb up underneath the car into the engine bay and I couldn't locate it, so I'm walking around trying to find it, I could hear it but couldn't find the little sucker," he said.



He says his colleagues thought it was a practical joke. "One of the other guys from our office come past and I yelled out to him, I said 'I've got a bit of a problem, I've got a cat in the engine bay.' And he sort of looked at me a bit funny." Senior Constable Tannous says he turned the engine off to make sure the cat did not overheat while he breath tested drivers.

"The cars do get hot sitting there while we're conducting our duties and I didn't want to have a fried cat in the engine bay." He then took the car to a nearby mechanic who found the black kitten in the bumper cavity. Senior Constable Tannous says although he has bonded well with the female kitten - nicknamed Cartwright - he will not be adopting it.

With news video.

No comments: