Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Damian Aspinall's jungle reunion with playmate gorilla

Howletts Wild Animal Park owner Damian Aspinall is reunited with a gorilla he used to play with five years ago.

The 10-year-old silverback is fully integrated into the wilds of Africa and is regarded as dangerous, having attacked other humans.



But Mr Aspinall was determined to have a reunion with Kwibi, who was relocated from Howletts.

Mr Aspinall said: “I was a little concerned, but the moment I heard his deep rumbling love-gurgle I knew then that I was okay. “He looked into my eyes with such intensity and love. It was an incredible experience. We just sat there together sort of drunk with each other.



“He embraced me like a long lost friend and it was just beautiful. He slowly introduced his wives who had come to see me.”

As Kwibi hugged him, Mr Aspinall said: “I don’t know quite how I am going to get out of here.” The crew threw some raisins to lure Kwibi away and allowed Mr Aspinall to get back on to their boat.

No comments: